Buildings and Monuments in AgartalaThe capital of Tripura, Agartala has very beautiful buildings, museums and monuments located here. Tourists will be delighted to view the very beautiful Ujjayanta Palace, Neer Mahal or the palace of water, Kunjaban, Tripura Government Museum and Pilak.
The Ujjayanta Palace is situated at Agartala. It is a former royal palace. It currently serves as the meeting place of the Tripura Legislative Assembly. The palace is one of the main tourist attractions of the state. The name Ujjayanta Palace was given by poet Rabindranath Tagore.
ConstructionUjjayanta Palace was built by king Radhakishore Manikya. It was constructed during 1899-1901. The total cost incurred was Rs 10 lakh. Due to a devastating earthquake in 1897 parts of the palace were destroyed. The palace was later reconstructed at the heart of the Agartala city.
ArchitectureThe Ujjayanta Palace covers an area of one km per sq. The main block covers 3.2 km per sq which comprises public halls. The neoclassical palace was designed by Sir Alexander martin of Messrs Martin & Co. It is a two-storied building. It has a mixed type of architecture.
The Chinese room is noteworthy. The ceiling of the room was crafted by artisans brought from China. There are three large domes. The central dome is 86’ high. The magnificent tiled floor, the curved wooden ceiling and the splendidly crafted doors are the main attraction of the palace.
In front of the main entrance there are musical fountains. There is also flood lighting which enhances the beauty of the palace. The gardens are decorated in the Mughal style. There are fountains in the gardens. On either side of the garden are two ponds. By the side of the palace numbers of temples are located.
The best time to travel the palace is October to March. Tours are conducted by the Tripura Tourism Department.
Neer Mahal or the palace of water is a water palace situated in Agartala. It is a former royal palace. Neer Mahal is the only lake palace in Northeast. It is built at the centre of lake Rudrasagar having an area of 5.35 sq km. It was built for one of the Maharajas in 1930 by king Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya.
StructureNeermahal is made in the Hindu and Mughal architectural style which could be noticed on the domes of the palace. There are two parts of the palace. The western side is known as Andar Mahal. It was used by the royal family. There are 15 rooms in the Andar Mahal. In the western side of the palace is a beautiful garden. In the garden there was a stage where drama and theater were used to be performed. The eastern part was used by the servants. In the main building there were two sections - one for the king and the other for the queen.
The royals could enter the palace by motor boats. There is a motor boat ghat inside the palace upto which the boats go. There are two stairs at the motor boat ghat- one for the maharaja and one for the maharani.
The palace was designed and constructed by Martin &Burn Co. Sandstone and marble has been used for the construction.
With towers and pavilions, moats and bridges the palace is a wonder to look at. The surroundings of the palace are lush green and beautified by colorful flowers. Birds could be spotted over the lake.
Flood lighting of the palace has been arranged in the evening. Water sports facilities are also arranged.
Kunjaban is a green hillock situated at Agartala. It is situated at the north of the Ujjayanta palace at a distance of 1 km. The name of the place means a bower. Kunjaban is known for its exquisite scenic beauty. The well laid gardens and lawns inside the palace is the official residence of the Governor of Tripura. After the dissolution of the monarch state into a republic country, the palace was handed to the government.
ImportanceMaharaja Birendra Kishore Manikya (1909-1923) selected Kunjaban for building a suburban palace for retreat and constructed a palace in 1917 which was named as Pushbanta Palace. The maharaja drew the plan of the palace and its adjoining garden.
Poet Rabindranath Tagore stayed in the eastern apartment of the palace during his 7th and last visit to the state in 1926.
The beautiful landscape of Kunjaban is surrounded by lush green grass, green garden, and a zoo. Tourists can enjoy the splendid beauty of the place.
The southern side of the garden has been made open for the public and has been named as Rabindra Kanan.
Tripura Government Museum
The Tripura Government Museum is located in the heart of the town of Agartala and was established on 22nd June, 1970. The museum holds a number of rare images, sculptures, inscriptions, terracotta items and other historical artifacts. The Tripura Government Museum is an important center of study and research for tourists, students, general public and research scholars.
Significance:The museum presents an insight into the history and culture of the past and present scenario of the State. The sculptures in the museum dates back to the 9th and 13th century AD. These sculptures are from Udaipur, Pillak and other archaeological sites of Tripura. Most of these sculptures are made of sandstone. The Museum has a number of galleries for the archaeological, painting, tribal culture and sculpture sections. The terracotta and bronze images of the Government Museum are rare and unique of its kind.
There are also a number of silver, copper and gold coins in the coin collection. The most ancient coin of the Tripura rulers so far discovered is that of Maharaja Ratna Manikya (1464 AD), the 145th king of the State. There are many paintings which are acquired from the Royal House. There is also an ethnic tribal sculpture gallery which showcases collection of ornaments, musical instruments and textiles used by the tribal groups in different stages of their life. There are also a number of manuscripts and books in the library section. There is also an ancient architectural and handicrafts section.
Malancha NiwasThe Malancha Niwas is situated adjacent to the Kunjaban palace. It is situated atop a hillock. It was originally a kaccha house where Rabindranath Tagore stayed during his visit in 1919. The pucca construction was subsequently built and was given the name Malancha Niwas. The niwas is located at a serene atmosphere. The picturesque landscape of the place adds to the beauty of the niwas.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0